from almost sixty years ago.
It was the spring I turned thirteen. My mom and dad were riding in the
car and hit a bump. My mother's bowl twisted and before they could get
to the hospital it burst filling the abdominal cavity. This was almost
always fatal in those days and serious today. She was in the hospital
for over a month and for three weeks of that month they didn't have much
One evening I was working in the garden as it got dark. I had the
rows dug so all I had to do was stick the sweet corn in the ground so I
was working after dark. My father pulled the tractor up to the edge of
the field and walked up to the house.
The full moon had just risen and as he walked between me and the moon he was singing. My mothers middle name was Carolina and he was singing Carolina Moon. He had a wonderful voice witch was a surprise because I had never heard him sing before.
I set there on the ground and let him pass for I knew if he knew I was
there it would embarrass him. I never heard him sing again.
It's funny I should remember that wonderful night so long ago when I found out my
father had a wonderful voice and loved my mother.
2 Comments On This Entry
- Duchess on Rainbows
- on Damaged brain? Oh well, I wasn't using it!
- giany on Damaged brain? Oh well, I wasn't using it!
- Duchess on Thoughts from a sleepless night.
- Duchess on My crippling disease!
- Duchess on Damaged brain? Oh well, I wasn't using it!
- jstar on My crippling disease!
- vanessa on Thoughts from a sleepless night.
- Duchess on The war I never went to.
- tonyp on Thailand